Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Answer to the Question

I'm going to answer Liz's question with a condition: I'm eliminating Jesus, Joseph Smith, and scriptural prophets.   I mean, who doesn't want to meet Elijah?

That said, here I go.

Dead person: Martin Luther.  There's just too much legend now surrounding him, but I suspect he was a godly man, humble but bold.  I can't even fathom the anxiety he felt on October 31, 1517 as he nailed that paper to the door of the Wittenburg Castle Church.  I'd like to see into his eyes and discuss those events that ushered in the Reformation and therefore Restoration.

Live Person: Nelson Mandela.  Those in the know say that the South African government has hired "life coaches" to help Mandela live as long as possible.  They fear that his death will mark the end of peace in that country.  He spent 27 years in prison, then became president of a country with a strong and vibrant history of legal and government sanctioned separation based on skin color.

There you go.  It took me a while to come up with these, and I'm sure tomorrow I'll think of something better, but hey, there are just too many amazing people to limit oneself!

No comments: